Join OWLS as we seek to de-mystify the judicial selection and appointment processes! The virtual panel discussion will include conversation about judicial selection and advice about navigating the selection process. Hear about a) the Article III federal judicial selection process, b) the magistrate judge selection process, c) the state judicial selection process, and d) the administrative appointments process. There will also be a discussion about endorsements and existing support for those navigating the process (mock interviews). The event will culminate in breakout sessions further exploring local processes and resources.
Our panel of experts will each reveal their unique lens on the various judicial appointment and selection processes in Oregon:
- U.S. Magistrate Judge Kasubhai — Federal Magistrate Judge selection.
- Deputy General Counsel to Governor Kotek Lindsay Burrows – all levels of state judicial selection and appointments.
- Maya Crawford Peacock, Executive Appointments Director to Governor Kotek – state boards and commissions appointments.
- Stanton Gallegos– Oregon Judicial Diversity Coalition of affinity bars’ endorsements process.
- Judge Kamala Shugar, Lane County Circuit Court – Local OWLS chapters mock interviews opportunities.
The event will culminate from 1:00-1:30 in facilitated breakout sessions for local chapters to help create a toolkit for developing or enhancing local processes.
Location: Zoom (link to be emailed to registered participants)
Sponsored by: Oregon Women Lawyers, Cascade Women Lawyers